This is the time of year that many people start a new fitness regime. For some of you, it will be your first time in a gym, and it can be intimidating. Here are some tips that might help you settle in:
- Book a tour/induction with a member of staff. Get them to show you exactly how everything works so you won’t feel like a fool when you’re there on your own. Take notes if you need to.
- If your gym has personal trainers on the staff (most gyms do) use them. Get them to show you proper technique and correct your form.
- Have a plan. You’ll feel a lot more comfortable if you know what you’re supposed to be doing. You can find free workout plans all over the internet, or invest in a PT to write you one.
- Clean up after yourself. This means wiping down all equipment after you use it and putting stuff back in its place. Most gyms have disinfectant spray or wipes. I wipe down before I use anything also – just in case the previous user hasn’t.
- Don’t worry about what other people are thinking. Most of those there are only concerned about themselves & their own workout, and aren’t judging you.
- Wear something that makes you feel great, put your headphones on & zone out.
Remember, just setting foot inside a gym puts you ahead of a lot of people. Don’t be afraid of looking silly – everyone had to start somewhere!